1.09.2008

Blah...

This semester has kicked my ass.

The crap with the divorce and all has touched a nerve that I've been covering up and ignoring with more success than expected, until now. Now sometimes I feel like something big and heavy has just collapsed on top of me and is about to crush me, suffocate me, or both.

School is flaying me alive too, big time.
AP classes were WAY harder than I first expected, and now that I've got my feet more under me and have settled in again, there's still that thorn in my side: Spanish.

I didn't sign up for it, I didn't WANT to sign up for it. But when I had the chance to change it before the semester started I way underestimated the difficulty of my upcoming classes. I've been failing that class since the beginning. The first three weeks of school I was completely in the dark about it. I missed the ten-day drop period (hah! I hadn't a clue it existed!) and so it looks like, since it's a year-long class that's already been paid for and everything, I probably won't be able to drop it.

There goes my GPA!

Ugh. The divorce thorn in my side's taken a toll too. Not only has something big and heavy collapsed on me, but the bottom has dropped out of my universe.
Mom's new boy hasn't helped matters
AT ALL.
I'll act amiable enough, but I neither like him nor do I think I can tolerate his presence for much longer. It seems like Mom takes every chance she can to have him over, and I'm getting fucking tired of it. I can understand him being run out of his son's house on the weekends while the rooms above his new shop are being rennovated, but y'know what, there's a new invention called hotels. Stay there, don't invade the only home I've known for sixteen years and not had to share with anyone but my family, friends, or my sister's friends.
Yes, I've been naive to think that my parents would never argue and never need time apart. Yes, I'd be naive to think that Mom wouldn't look for someone else to be with. But those naive notions have been brutally shattered, and I've been alive long enough that those naive notions are deeply ingrained.
Mom may not think that this affects my performance in school much, but I'm pretty sure it does. Kate agrees. She tells me her butt's been whipped too.

Normally I'm not much a one for being depressed or anything, but this past semester's stress has hit hard, and I still haven't gotten my balance back.
Hell, I haven't even felt this downright shitty since Memaw died. I got over that fairly quickly, probably since it was that one thing and there wasn't anything to rub my face in it.
But with this, on a regular basis the divorce is being rubbed in my face, and it's getting raw.
This sort of stress isn't good for a junior with hard AP classes in a tough academy like IB and hopes to attend a prestigous university like Chapel Hill.
AT ALL!
-snort- What am I saying, it's not good for anyone period!

-hunches sulkily in a corner muttering darkly to self-

The world is stupid. People are stupid. People are greedy. People are selfish. People are ignorant. People are lazy. People are insensitive. People are close-minded. People are people! That's what's wrong with the world!

That's why so many people died and will die in the World Wars, Korea, Vietnam, and Iraq. That's why people are and have been slaughtered like so many chickens in Rwanda and Sudan. That's why my school, with some of the best teachers I've ever had the privilege to learn from, is the poorest, shoddiest school in the county. That's why my school has the worst reputation. That's why whenever something happens at my school it's on the front page of the paper, and when similar things happen at other schools it's hardly a little blip buried in the paper. That's why Columbine happened. That's why people like David get so down that they sound almost suicidal in their blogs when their girlfriends break up with them. That's why my patience and peace of mind have been tried to almost the breaking point this last semester.

That's why I'm ranting mindlessly right now, trying to vent all the pent-up frustration, grief, and helpless indignation I've been carrying for weeks.

3 comments:

Blaze said...

While I'm sure you won't read this for at least a day, here goes...

Regarding the school stuff, I may not be doing so hot myself with the AP classes but I can still help you with whatever you need help with. I know that the semester's already over and its kinda useless to turn over a new leaf for it, but next semester is just a couple weeks off. It'll be easier, but I'm still able to help you if you need me(more so, likely, because we have math and you have chemistry next semester. I'm better at those subjects than english and history).

On Spanish, I may not be the best Spanish student in the world, but I can at least try. And in the likely case that I can't help, we can stick our heads together and figure it out. You're brilliant, I'm at least intelligent, it would work. Just a suggestion.

And about that last thing... As you've found out, keeping it in doesn't help anyone, least of all you. Talk to someone, it doesn't matter who. Know that I have nothing to do in my spare time (why else do I play World of Warcraft?) and can make time for you if you want to talk.

I know its not in your nature to let someone help you (I know this because I'm the same way), but know that there are people who love and care about you and want to help you. I don't like it when you guys are down, but you more so (for obvious reasons). Things will get better in the long run, it may take a while, but it'll get better. And I'm beside you (I'm not alone there either) the whole way.

Love and hope you take some advice,
Patrick

Rosenkreuz said...

Ann, I don't want to sound repetitive of Patrick, but I too want to be of help to you if you'll let me. I'm willing to bet that you don't think this is any of our concern and you'd rather face it alone. Well once it gets to you like this, it becomes our concern. As a concerned friend, Im just saying: Don't leave me or Reg, or Patrick outta the loop. If somethings bugging you tell us, your friends. I like Patrick have plenty of spare time, and i am perfectly capable of taking some of it to hear you out.

As to the classes, I too am happy to help. We joke around about school all the time, but please, if you need some kind of help, ask. Like Patrick you are brilliant, and to me you come across as the kind of person that can do anything if you put your mind to it. So please, remember you have friends here that will do anything they can to help you. ALl you have to do is ask, and theres nothing wrong with that.

Regarding your parents divorce, i cant say i have an idea of how you feel, because i dont and no one does except you and probably your sister. What i can say is talk about it to someone. Keeping it in wont help anything, and talking about bad things really can help. That i know from experience. My parents have been divorced for about 6 months now, with the reason being my dad found another woman and left my mom for her. While his new wife dosnt come around the house, he does bring their baby, which is in my opinion a slap in the face to my mom. I finally told him i dont have a problem with his baby, but out of respect for my mom he dosnt need to bring it over. I think you should do something of the same effect. Im sure your mother respects you enough to listen to your complaint, and would at least do something. If not, just go and walk around or something to take your mind off it. Just don't dwell on any of the bad feelings, as they will get you nowhere.

Im gonna conclude my long ass post by saying, please, remember your friends. They want to be a help to you in a hard time.

"One person can make all the difference in a situation, but without support, that same person would break under pressure." - Anonymous

Remember you have people that care for you all around, talk to us if you need to. We will be here for ya Lynxie.
- David "Rosenkreuz"

KDC said...

*wipes tear from her eye and takes Ann up in a strong bear hug*

Your friends are right. Talk to them. They can help. They love you, and so do I. Look up "Crash and Burn" by Savage Garden on YouTube.


Love from the bottom of my heart,
Kate